[FRIAM] Tragedy of the Commons & Free Riders

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 15:11:51 EDT 2021

Before I make my ur-objection, I'll say:

I agree with [⛧]:
> No member of the community is a "problem", in that story, whether they contribute or not.

I disagree with [⛤]:
> the first step in trying to fix such problems is to deal with the individual decision makers.

These 2 assertions seem contradictory. Perhaps they're not and all I need do is a better job of fleshing them out. Regardless, my primary objection is:

There is no such thing as an individual. It's a convenient fiction, or perhaps an approximating simplification so we can get on with policy/philosophy/physics/whatever. If it's the latter, then my counter-assertion is that the simplification/fiction no longer works. When our pre-internet (or even pre-industrial) information landscape was mediated by public intellectuals who came to fame through intellectual work, it was reasonably effective. But now that our socio-cultural peaks and surges are transpersonal, it fails. Everywhere is Commons. There is no private property any more because there is no *privacy* any more (except in crazy edge cases who manage to go "off grid"). Our algorithms can better infer You from metadata than you can causally describe your Self.

This looks, to me, like a validation of behaviorism and a falsification of libertarianism.

[⛧] To provide anecdotal evidence that I agree -- Back in Oregon, I pushed for installing a public bench in the park behind our house. Another neighborhood development association member (who was a "leader" and had more credibility) liked the idea and helped push it through. I managed to find the powder coater, find a local manufacturer, hauled it to the parks maintenance building, etc.) During the discussion for what kind of bench, my partner wanted to install a middle arm rest so that nobody could sleep on the bench, you know, attracting homeless people. I managed to snuff that. What's wrong with sleeping on a bench in a public park? Anyway, since I pushed for the bench, in the few years we stayed thereafter, I maintained the area around the bench. I found a heroin kit, used condoms, trash of all kinds (including sharps and the ever-present dog sh¡t), etc. Often, kids would be on the bench late into the night smoking dope, rap on the boom box, and partying. In my opinion, it was a resounding success, as irritating as it might be to sit out on my patio and have to listen to rap all evening.

[⛤] And it should be obvious from the story that you cannot, will never, "fix" the free rider problem by dealing with the individual decision makers. Each heroin addict, homeless person, kid needing time away from her parents, etc. is an entire *universe* in itself. The combinatorics of trying to fix the "problem" with the public bench makes such a method infeasible.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ