[FRIAM] Tragedy of the Commons & Free Riders

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 23:24:38 EDT 2021

I think we probably pretty much agree.

"It's a convenient fiction, or perhaps an approximating simplification" ---
Yes! But we need some of those, and "the individual" is one that appeals to
me.

I *do *see the potential contradiction you are poking at, but I'm not sure
it is fatal. In the case of the "tragedy of the commons" the lack of will
is on the part of the farmers who fail to avoid a self-inflicted ruin. In
the case of the so-called "free rider problem", the lack of will is on the
part of the person providing the free ride.

I love your bench example. You thought there should be a bench, you *wanted
it to benefit people.* Then, when it did benefit people, you were pleased.
Even when they were a minor annoyance, you still did not resent others for
using the bench without having helped pay for it. There *were *"free
riders", but they were not "a problem". Thumbs up!

As for the commons: Let's say you are one of 4 farmers sharing a plot of
land that is ideally sized to support 12 cows, and each farmer has 3 cows.
If you saw one of the other farmers suddenly show up with 4 cows, very
slightly reducing your yield, I'll bet you are the type of guy who would
strongly consider sticking to 3 cows, and trying to convince the other
farmers to do the same. Just because one of the farmers is being a bit of a
jerk doesn't mean you have to destroy the commons. Probably you would even
go talk to the errant farmer, to at least try to understand what's up with
the fourth cow. Maybe he really needs the money for some reason, and maybe
some other solution could be found. -- At any rate, just because 1 person
decided to get a little more meat production really does not mean everyone
else has to as well. If the others value the commons, they could simply
choose not to escalate the situation, and thereby the valued-commons is
preserved.

Presumably we could arrange the world so that a larger % of adults didn't
complain about having successfully helped people they intended to help, *and
*so that a larger % of adults did not turn the commons into a tragedy.
<echarles at american.edu>