[FRIAM] Friday Fodder

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 23:58:44 EDT 2021

JZ wrote or quoted

An essential and vastly underappreciated aspect of the world is the flux of energy in the ‘empty space’ around us, the light and pressure waves crisscrossing, chemical gradients, magnetic fields, etc. Gibson labeled the structural elements of this ambient energy that can support behavior ‘information.’

Nick responds.

. Let experience be as random as it could possibly be; indeed, Peirce thinks that experience is approximately that random. Considering all the events that are going on at any one moment -- the ticking of the clock, the whuffing of the wind in the eaves, the drip of the faucet, the ringing of the telephone, the call from the seven-year-old upstairs who cannot find his shoes, the clunking in the heating pipes as the heat comes on, the distant sound of the fire engine passing the end of the street, the entry of the cat through the pet door, the skitter of mouse-feet behind the wainscoting -- most will be likely unrelated to the fact that the egg timer just went off. Perhaps not all, however. Perhaps the cat anticipates cleaning up the egg dishes. Perhaps the same stove that is boiling the egg water has lit a fire in the chimney. But whatever relations we might discover amongst all these events, we can find an infinite number of other temporally contiguous events that are not related to them. Thus, as Peirce says, events are just about as random as anybody could care them to be.  But – and here is the main point – to the extent that events are related, these relations would be useful. They would, for instance allow the cat to predict that there would be food in a few moments, the mouse to predict that the cat has entered the house, and you to predict, among other things, that your eggs are ready. For this reason, on Peirce’s account, organisms are designed to ferret out these few regularities and take action based on them.

In short, if perception is direct, it comes only to the prepared mind and there are an infinity of fluxes that must go unnoticed.

Nick

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/