[FRIAM] Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 02:46:04 EDT 2021

This week, thanks to my friend Zeke, I have been thinking about a fairly
well-known data compression algorithm called LZW. Unlike Huffman codes,
which rely on an apriori knowledge of character frequencies, LZW
*Scaffolds* it's adaptive process by constructing a dictionary. While this
dictionary is crucial to the functioning of the algorithm, it appears as
a side-effect in that, it is immediately discarded once LZW has succeeded
in producing its code. The codes in the dictionary can be interpreted as
having an inhibitory function on the output code. That is, finding a code
in the dictionary allows the algorithm to skip a code. I would be curious
to know about ways that similar processes arise in the context of biology,
genetics. For instance, and simply with the aim to be provocative, to
what extent might the production of peptides facilitate the catalyzation
and constraining of more complicated protein interactions?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/