[FRIAM] Future Generating Machines...

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Mar 29 14:55:49 EDT 2021

I think you characterize this well:

glen> Yes, therein lies the rub, the ever-present dissonance between
objectives at one scale and objectives at another scale.

I (like to believe that I) live in a multi-scale multi-verse, meaning
that when I "try real hard" or "meditate very effectively" I can pull
back from the specifics of the *apparent* problem at hand (navigating
paid family leave rules as a small business) and consider that my
willingness (acquiescence) to engage in some sub-bureaucracy that seems
to be nothing more than a "pain in my @ss" is truly in my best interest
in the sense of being in the best interest of my "larger self", compared
to the "smaller self" who is just trying to "clear some paperwork from
my desk".

I don't know how to tease apart your language about "there is no
individual" in a way to slide clearly up and down the registers *I*
experience as my "smallest or lowest" self to a "largest or highest"
self.   If I might achieve Satori/Enlightment   then the distinction
(duality?) of alone/all-one presumably collapses to an (at most)
interesting delusion.   I'm just not there.

Is your own refutation of "the individual" the personal experience you
have, or an intellectual abstraction to which you perhaps aspire to
experience?