[FRIAM] something serious from something silly

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 12:40:37 EDT 2021

Hi, All,

With out appearing too persnickety, could I ask that we keep a distinction in mind in this discussion:  between  an intelligent species and a species with intelligent members.  A species is  intelligent to the degree that it seeks out points in adaptation space where it is continued.  It’s easy to declare a species as intelligent because we know what it is maximizing. (Well, relatively easy: what do we say when a species divides into two: that it has failed or succeeded?) Working out whether an individual is intelligent is more tricky until we have decided what “should” be maximized by an individual.  Don’t tell me survival, because NO individuals survive.  Don’t tell me reproduction, because no individual diploid organism reproduces.  Don’t tell me “genes”, because genes are not like so many cold coins that can be hoarded in a dragon’s cave.  The whole area of intelligence in evolution is a social Darwinist, class-ridden,  cesspool of confusion and I urge you to all think carefully before you flush yourselves down this particular toilet.

But I love you all!

Nick Dixit

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com