[FRIAM] Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:23:08 EDT 2021

No, that's not a principle of Wokeism. It may be a reactionary misunderstanding of what's being said. (More likely it's an absurdist strawman, intended to help you *avoid* hearing what's being said.) But if you listen closer, you might actually hear what's being said. This article does a pretty good job of listing the drivers:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-ideas-that-are-reshaping-the-democratic-party-and-america/

"    1. The United States has often not lived up to the ideals of its founders or the notion that it is an “exceptional” nation that should be a model for other countries. Because the U.S. has disempowered its Native and Black populations and women throughout its history, America has never been a true or full democracy.
    2. White people, particularly white men, are especially advantaged in American society (“white privilege”).
    3. People of color in America suffer from not only individualized and overt acts of racism (someone uses a racial slur, for example) but a broader “systemic” and “institutional” racism.
    4. Capitalism as currently practiced in America is deeply flawed, giving way too much money and power to the wealthy. America’s economy should not be set up in a way that allows people to accumulate billions of dollars in wealth.
    5. Women suffer from systemic sexism.
    6. People should be able to identify as whatever gender they prefer or not to identify by gender at all.
    7. The existence of a disparity — for example, Black, Latino or women being underrepresented in a given profession or industry — is evidence of discrimination, even if no overt acts of discrimination are visible.
    8. Black Americans deserve reparations to make up for slavery and post-slavery racial discrimination.
    9. Law enforcement agencies, from local police departments to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, are designed to defend America’s status quo as much as any public safety mission. When they treat people of color or the poor badly, they are working as they are designed. So these agencies must be defunded, abolished, disbanded or at least dramatically changed if the goal is to improve their treatment of people of color and the poor.
    10. Trump’s political rise was not an aberration or a surprise. Politicians in both parties, particularly Republicans, have long used racialized language to demean people of color — Trump was just more direct and crude about it. And his messages resonated with a lot of Americans, particularly white people and conservatives, because lots of Americans have negative views about people of color, Black people in particular."

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ