[FRIAM] Morphogenisis

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat May 8 22:57:15 EDT 2021

Nick -

>  Second, which of these two models encapsulates more closely what you
> wizards mean by computation.  Is carrying out an algorithm  more like
> “computation” or is “building a limb”? Is a salamander’s limb
> “computed”?  If so, who computes it, or is that a violation of the
> language of computation.   I know.  Fools rush in where wise men fear
> to tread.

I know that Susan has done a lot of more up to date and relevant work in
the area of bio-inspired computing and I haven't followed it all nor do
I fully appreciate what she meant when she once told me that
"Embryology" was the most inspiring area in that regard that she was
working with.   I'll find a more up to date material I hope, but *this*
2003 white-paper might be of some interest...

https://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/bib/ss/nonstd/rsrae03.htm