[FRIAM] Morphogenisis

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat May 8 23:22:14 EDT 2021

Steve,

I cannot, I MUST not, at this time, take the time to adequately respond to
the paper, however much it interests me, which it does, alot.

However, I have skimmed it and think I might have a brief contribution.
There are two terms that are not nailed down, so far as I could see, in my
skimming.  First, I wonder what the authors mean by a pragmatic
understanding.  I hope they mean an understanding of the term that will bear
weight, over time, as we work with it.  If they just mean operational, then
I am not on board.

Second,  authors are ambiguous in their use of the term emergent.  They talk
about emergent structures and emergent properties.  Best, I think to follow
Wimsatt and confine its use to those properties of an aggregate that arise
not simply from  the properties of the members of an aggregate but from
their order of assembly or their arrangement in the aggregate.  I would call
such a definition pragmatic, or even "practicial", in the sense that opens
the door to further systematic exploration.

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/>