[FRIAM] Morphogenisis

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun May 9 14:19:51 EDT 2021

Jon,

Yours is a fascinating note and I hope it gets the attention it deserves.  It is because I really have never been able to hold in my head any stable idea of what "computation" is that I keep asking questions about computation.  I think of it as something like, "the creation of a sequence of instructions such that, in a certain defined context, a particular predetermined result is guaranteed."  I guess I have to admit that RNA-DNA-RNA is such a set of instructions, but I get a bit hazy on who or what is doing the computing.  So, the metaphor of computation invites one to invent a computer, just as the metaphor of natural selection, invites one to invent a "selector".   The question for formal metaphor analysis then becomes, Can we disclaim that feature of the metaphor, in the way that we disclaim "selector" in the Darwin metaphor; and if we CAN disclaim it, do we choose to?

You inquiry about generality is easier.  From a pragmatCIst point of view, generality, truth, realness, are all forms of the same aspiration.  We keep referring to that aspiration in every day speech, as when the lost hikers ask one another, "Where will we sleep this night?"  There certainly is a place where they will sleep, so one cannot claim that there is nothing to which the question refers.  And every step they take narrows the probabilities of where that place might be.  Assignment to a general is abduction; the fruit of abduction is all the deductions that the abduction affords if it is true.   The "speed of light" is just where all the light-speed measurers will sleep when they have done with their wandering.  And as we watch their wandering, and because we believe they are wandering in a Poisson distribution, we can guess where they are going to sleep and that number is what we call the speed of light.

To be "about to move" is for me to have an explosion of thoughts in my head because moving house (or being bereaved or divorced) is of course the only kind of death any of us actually knows, and it's as if I have to get every thought "out" before I move, because I cannot imagine thought beyond the move.   In any case, I am starting to get on people's nerves.

I like that scorpion metaphor.  My colleagues here are like frogs trying to swim across the river.  If all they want is to get to the other side of the river, they shouldn't befriend a scorpion.  But perhaps I am obligated not to accept the offer of lift?

By the way, knowing what we know about the habitats of scorpions and frogs, how on earth could a frog ever befriend a scorpion in the first place?

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/