[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:34:36 EDT 2021

Here is the *Cliff Notes* introduction to Money
<https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/economics/money-and-banking/functions-of-money>
.

Money is often defined in terms of the three functions or services. Money
serves as a medium of exchange, as a store of value, and as a unit of
account.

Money's most important function is as a *medium of exchange* to facilitate
transactions. Without money, all transactions would have to be conducted by
barter, which involves direct exchange of one good or service for another.
The difficulty with a barter system is that in order to obtain a particular
good or service from a supplier, one has to possess a good or service of
equal value, which the supplier also desires. In other words, in a barter
system, exchange can take place *only* if there is a double coincidence of
wants between two transacting parties. The likelihood of a double
coincidence of wants, however, is small and makes the exchange of goods and
services rather difficult. Money effectively eliminates the double
coincidence of wants problem by serving as a medium of exchange that is
accepted in all transactions, by all parties, regardless of whether they
desire each others' goods and services.

As a medium of exchange, I think of money as something like a ruler. You
can use it to measure things, to compare the measurements, and to exchange
things for tokens of units of such measurements. Certainly, such a
measurement is not a complete description of the thing measured. Is
claiming that a measurement of a thing is equivalent to the thing itself
what you are referring to as reduction? I doubt that anyone would take that
position. So if you are arguing against that, I think it is something of a
red herring. No one seriously takes such a position.

Still, money is extraordinarily useful for facilitating exchanges that
would be very difficult to arrange otherwise. Of course, if it's a
complicated exchange one generally needs more than a ruler. That's why we
have contracts, laws, etc., to spell out the additional details. I
certainly agree with you about that. But I still don't see how a complex
society can get along without something like a money-like ruler as a way to
establish basic comparisons as at least the starting points of many if not
most exchanges.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science