[FRIAM] Smart-Contracts: was UBI

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon May 10 16:36:17 EDT 2021

Glen (et al) -

I wonder if we (collectively) can discuss *how* smart contracts as being
built on top of blockchain implementations can be independent of "money"
as you properly (IMO) apprehend it (and it's limits).

I've been studying the Cardano ecosystem (weakly by the standards of
more astutely technical of you here) *because* it is not conceived or
designed to (merely) be the vehicle for managing an aspiring
cryptoCurrency Bubble as the others seem to be (with smart-contracts an
afterthought or inner-machinery exposed for civilian use.

As I understand it, cryptoCurrency (ADA in this case) is the "reference
app" of choice on Cardano for lots of reasons (explicitly) other than
creating and inflating a crypto¢bubble, though I can't articulate them
well myself.   My NREL colleague and I are exploring how the Ouroborous
<https://cardano.org/ouroboros/> (protocol/blockchain machinery) of
Cardano and the Smart Contract language/environment (Plutus
<https://developers.cardano.org/en/programming-languages/plutus/overview/>)
and other fairly *technical* things about collaborative problem-solving
environments. FWIW, his design/implementation environment of choice is
Haskell.  His teenage son taps the family $$ resources via a webapp
which implements a smart-contract that captures the family values around
"allowance" or more aptly "allowable expenses".    I share this only for
"flavor", not with an indication that it is anything more meaningful
than a novelty reflecting his investment in understanding-by-application.

However... I'm fundamentally *more* interested in how the same concepts
(and machinery ultimately) can help us move on past a post-capitalistic
socio-Economy toward something closer to it's close cousin Ecology which
I believe would have a much stronger flavor of reciprocity, gifting and
gratitude vs the nearly *required*??? U-O-Me nature of Money (conceived
as IOUs, but distorted to UOMes by ?greed?).

- Steve