[FRIAM] Smart-Contracts: was UBI

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon May 10 17:01:01 EDT 2021

Yes! I'd love it if someone more knowledgeable would deign to chip in. As I understand it, smart contracts would do the banal computation showing how various agreements intertwine. So, if I've signed 5 NDAs with 5 different companies, 2 of which were founded by the same yahoo, 1 of which is a deep pocketed hydra like SAIC, 2 of which are mid-sized startups, all of which have different terms, what are the implications of signing a 6th with a new one? Trying to "calculate" all the different domain crossover, especially given that I'm only called to participate in a handful of domains, is a PITA. I feel the same way when navigating OpenSecrets to, e.g., track the funding of the Reason Foundation. >8^D And/or when Renee' sold her house in Oregon, it turned out there was a (obsolete, it turned out) clause about adding "out buildings", the threat being we may have had to tear down the shed I had built in order to sell the house without some government waiver. The whole thing was manually handled by the pair of real estate people (buyer's and Renee's), at a great expense of time, attention, and hand-wringing.

But I haven't followed the smart contracts area at all. So I don't even know if the current meaning of "smart contracts" means what (I thought) it used to. I know nothing about Cardano.

A similar *feeling* project was GitLaw, where laws were written with explicitly detailed, traceable revisioning. The open government project back in Portland was great in the sense that they would hold hack-a-thons to assemble data from various Portland municipal data sources into a kind of dash board for citizens, all open source, of course. I only went to one, though, for logistics problems.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ