[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:15:01 EDT 2021

I think your (and Dave's and Pieter's) conceptions are too limited, too local. I don't know what explicit 3 types of reciprocity Dave might register. But I guess my thinking is polluted by generic influence, up- and down-regulation, correlative and causative. The structure of the network matters, but can't be definite [⛧] or fixed. Part of what (I think) Dave is arguing for is openness, where the agents are bathed in a complex of fields. Hardening/identifying/fixating-on a given *network* is already an abstraction too far.

If we view it that way, the shaman might flow in and out of unity. She might play the role of "hub" -- well connected node in the network -- one day; then her skin/boundary dissolves to play a more holistic role the next day. Any other role played by any other member of the tribe may do the same. Alice, the expert tanner, as an agent, gives instruction to a budding tanner one day. Then the next day she dissolves to be a canonical embodiment of all tanners.

The "network" is a discretized structure that evokes much of the hyper-reductionism exhibited in transactional markets. And that makes it inappropriate for some things, including paying it forward to Renee's kids. It's important to know that by taking Renee' to Mother's Day supper was *not* a gift to Renee'. It was a gift to Renee's *kids*, because they are unable to fulfill their obligations *today*. A temporal delay (maybe as hinted in the challenge to the no-arbitrage assumption) is crucial to the persistence of the mesh of reciprocity.

It's almost like I'm looking for a way to "collapse" the fields into a locally definite network *as* our lens moves around in the bath ... like while you're not looking at the other parts of the "network", it dissolves into goo. But when your focus is on some region of the goo, it registers into a network.

Capitalists are predators, with their eyes close together, able to tighten up the lens and *harden* the goo with severe and antisceptic focus on "That's what I WANT!!!" Perhaps post-capitalists will be less like pure predators and more modal, able to cooperate and compete dynamically.

[⛧] That definite/bound is fundamental to so many conceptions of computation argues for Dave's otherwise stated complaints about science being too myopic to capture so many other types of knowledge.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ