[FRIAM] Drones to detect wildfires

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed May 26 10:35:39 EDT 2021

The problem is the term " progress."

First, progress implies a goal state,as in progress towards what?

The second is teasing out a thread, a sequence of a single factor in a complex data set, and deciding that an increase in the measured value of that factor is what defines progress. [The term progress itself biases against looking for a decrease in some measured factor.]

For example: We could look at human beings in the U.S. from 1776 to today as a sequence of states. We could then look at the state and pick a variable that changes  — increases  — in each successive state. If the variable we pick is 'average lifespan' then we might be tempted to say that we have progressed. But if we picked the variable 'average BMI index' then it becomes problematic as to whether or not we can claim massive obesity is "progress."

A third issue is obtaining any kind of consensus as to which variables we should pick to measure progress. Kilotons of nuclear arsenals? Petabytes of video on Pornhub? Tons of food waste from restaurants per day? Average wheat yield in Kansas per year? Number of pure electric cars per capita?

davew

un/subscribe <http://bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe> http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com