[FRIAM] Drones to detect wildfires

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed May 26 12:20:17 EDT 2021

Marcus -

> < Deferring to your and Marcus' and other's optimism that we can and
> will outrun the consequences (or perhaps Marcus' fatalism that we as a
> species are "long of tooth" and perhaps deserve to bring the house
> down on our own heads?), I can *hope* that we will find a phase change
> in the collective imaginarium around "human progress" not requiring
> that we continue to radically aberrate the current homeostasis of the
> biosphere. >
>
> I was thinking of the possibility that some aspects of human
> intelligence would transform into a new physical form and be able to
> use less or different kinds of energy, tolerate different temperatures
> and/or more radiation, etc.   I don’t even see that as fatalism.
>   How or if that will happen, I have no idea.   Genetic engineering,
> neural linkage technologies, wafer scale machine learning systems?
> Actually calling me fatalist or nihilist is fine, just don’t call me
> an optimist!  :-)

<grin> I'm sure any optmism I ascribe to you is my own projection!

Your SciFiEsque potential trajectories are well within my own projected
imaginarium,  but they do fall on an extrema of my fatalistic-optimistic
axis.  I may well live to be 160, but the last half of that may also be
inside a space-suit, more likely hanging on a hook in a warehouse (e.g.
MatrixEsque) than flitting between asteroids or bounding around the
surface of a MarsScape en-process of TerraForming.   In any case, I'll
probably still be ranting to whatever FriAM becomes in that context, my
vestigal/atrophied/ghost fingers twitching as my Neuralink interface
transmutes my touchtyping.

My consumer-grade HMD is already good enough quality to make watching
fungus grow quite captivating.  I'm waiting for eye-tracking...

For the moment I'll shift back to the bird-TV that is my picture window
where the hummers are swarming the cane-sugar-water (from the
Phillipines?) like giant mosquitos, and the tanagers and migrating
orioles are having their way with the the blemished oranges I got from
Mexico (by way of my local produce) and the jays are happily gathering
the peanuts (from Georgia?) to stash for next winter (unless too much
fungus grows on them in the meantime).