[FRIAM] do you answer those phone calls?

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Oct 4 16:41:37 EDT 2021

Our phone service here (in N. Carolina) includes caller id by voice —
which is generated by a text-to-voice program that hilariously garbles
the text. It seems like state of the art circa 1990.

Back when there were humans on the line (usually trying to pump stocks),
I’d say hello and then carefully lay the handset on my desk. After
about 40 seconds I could faintly hear “Barry, … Barry? Barry?
Click” I wasn’t keeping track, but my sense is that the number of
those calls went down.

The only number I give out now is my cell phone, which is relatively
immune to these calls. For the moment, anyway.

—Barry