[FRIAM] Newborn Heart Rate

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Fri Oct 8 16:38:16 EDT 2021

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/353762832_Antenatal_and_perinatal_factors_influencing_neonatal_blood_pressure_a_systematic_review

Maternal ethnicity/race. The effect of maternal ethnicity on
neonatal BP is uncertain. Schachter et al. found higher DBP in
term neonates of African-American mothers at 3 days after birth
compared to white American infants (51.9 ± 6.7 mmHg versus
50.1 ± 6.6 mmHg; p =0.047), but no significant difference in SBP
was observed (76.4 ± 8.3 mmHg versus 75 ± 8.4 mmHg) [23]. In
contrast, Zinner et al. reported no significant difference in SBP
(74.1 ± 9.2 mmHg and 75.1 ± 11.2 mmHg respectively) or DBP
(51.3 ± 9.0 mmHg and 51.3 ± 10.6 mmHg) in neonates born to
white or African-American mothers [10]. Another prospective
cohort study by Schachter et al. comparing 111 African-American
with 136 white term newborn infants on day 3 after birth reported
a marginally higher SBP for the African-American newborns (mean
SBP 76.7 mmHg versus 74.3 mmHg; SD not reported; p=0.04).
However, when adjusted for number of feeds since birth, there
was no longer a significant difference [24]

So the significance was p < 0.05 only because 0,047 < 0.05 when not rounded.

-- rec --