[FRIAM] Breakfast in Santa Fe

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Fri Oct 22 16:35:27 EDT 2021

Jochen - I'm sorry that you feel as unsafe as you say about guns in the
USA. My own feeling, based on living in the States from birth until age 49
(13 years ago), is that the danger and direct impact on society from
firearms is much exaggerated by the news media. Like so many issues of our
time, our two-party winner-take-all system of elections has made guns a
political football. The same goes for the perception of how police officers
respond to citizens, including motorists, that they deal with. My own
experience has been that police in the USA are courteous and respectful. Of
course, I'm. a white guy who grew up with a respect for the police, so
others' experiences may differ. The USA certainly has its share of
problems, but it's still a pretty darned nice place to live and visit.