[FRIAM] Thread Bust: WAS: stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:05:34 EDT 2021

Hi, Glen,

It was quite clear that CHAOS was a much more "powerful" program, but I got an error message when I went to download it, and about that time Steve's message came in.  Miles has some passing familiarity with NetLogo and I don't think we need the power to demonstrate the essential point that a process can be fated to come out in a particular way even tho' none of the participants has any idea of what that fate is.  How Sophocles-esque!  But we do have the "Behe Problem".  How does natural selection select for the genes that make the fate when the fate is a non-linear consequence of the genes.  I suppose somebody has tried to select for different patterns as an outcome in a Net Logo model and see if selection could somehow dig down to the eight "genes" that make up the model.   I used to think I understood how this was possible, but right now it seems like a hot potato again.

Maybe CHAOS would let me try that experiment.

Nick

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/