[FRIAM] stygmergy, CA's, and [biological] development

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 15:00:33 EDT 2021

It some searching, but I found the paper where I first got a sense about
operads. I hope that you also find it useful:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1806.08304.pdf

In particular, at the top of page 4 are a collection of diagrams
depicting composition in categories, monoidal categories, traced monoidal
categories and finally in hypergraph categories. Each, as far as I
understand the concept (which is new to me) has a "governing" operad.
For instance, the category of 1-dimensional oriented Cobordisms *governs*
the traced monoidal category and the category of Cospan algebras does
the same for hypergraphs. I figure you probably know the last relation
because you are familiar with the bipartite graph representation of
hypergraphs.

I suspect there are a number of nice duality properties in the Cospan
category, I am not sure if they are the kind you were looking for (a
certain duality between states and events).