[FRIAM] Corrosive memes [ was: Unrecognized Thinkers ]

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sun Oct 31 17:00:16 EDT 2021

I believe it is good for society as a whole if younger and older people respect each other. There is a reason why "honor your father and your mother" is one of the Ten Commandments. In Confucian ethics respect for one's parents, elders, and ancestors is considered as a virtue too. The younger may have more innovative ideas and energy, the older people certainly have more experience.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_pietyIt is not helpful if one generation rejects the other or starts to mock it by stupid "OK Boomer" memes. Insulting or mocking others is not constructive, it is destructive and divisive. Francis Fukuyama would say it is a sign of political decay. Unfortunately the most insulting memes which cause the most "Schadenfreude" spread extraordinary well.https://apnews.com/article/lets-go-brandon-what-does-it-mean-republicans-joe-biden-ab13db212067928455a3dba07756a160-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Jon Zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> Date: 10/31/21  21:23  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Unrecognized Thinkers "Memes can spread as if they are amplified, for instance the stupid 'Let's Go, Brandon' meme or the dull 'OK Boomer' reply."Well, it certainly is your thread to bend. My feeling is that corrosion and destruction can often arise as part of a creative process. Age demographics in politics in the United States, to my view, are pretty off balance. My personal plan is to help cultivate a different one. Nothing against old people, of course, but in the next elections I plan to rank choice not by party but simply by age.