[FRIAM] Can empirical discoveries be mathematical?

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Fri Sep 3 12:47:34 EDT 2021

Nick,

I quote from https://www.britannica.com/science/scientific-theory
"In attempting to explain objects and events, the scientist employs (1)
careful observation or experiments, (2) reports of regularities, and (3)
systematic explanatory schemes (theories). The statements of regularities,
if accurate, may be taken as empirical laws expressing continuing
relationships among the objects or characteristics observed."

Based on this, I reckon, because you have reported the regularities, you
have discovered an empirical scientific law. Congratulations!

Next is to systematically explain it, then you have a scientific theory!

Maybe I did not answer your question? You asked if this is an empirical
discovery or a mathematical one.

IMO you have done only the first part, the empirical discovery. This could
now be taken further and if you can prove it using formal mathematics, then
only can you claim you have made a mathematical discovery. So, it is (not
yet) a mathematical discovery. Sorry to blow your bubble.