[FRIAM] Can empirical discoveries be mathematical?

Roger Frye frye.roger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 09:27:58 EDT 2021

Reuben had an article in Issue 65 of Eureka Magazine titled 'Solving
Problems by "Cheating": Operational Calculi, Function Theory, and
Differential Equations'. The article is a compilation of tricks that he ran
across during his career that seemed to apply in a general way to solving
problems. The theme is that you doodle with methods that you have no right
to assume would work in this particular case, and if you get something
worthwhile, then go back and prove it.

Towards the end of his life he became more interested in the metaphors that
are at the basis of mathematical thinking, the bodily actions that have
been abstracted into mathematical concepts. Yuri I. Manin also spoke of
Mathematics as Metaphor is a slightly different way in his essays.

-Roger