[FRIAM] gen'fur

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Sat Sep 11 10:37:33 EDT 2021

When I was (much) younger, I tended strongly to the nurture side of the
nature vs nurture divide.

My wife and I raised four kids, two from her previous marriage, one that
we are responsible for, and one biracial adopted son. So, four kids,
three fathers, and two mothers. It did not take long to see that the
nature side has a lot going for it. It was amazing how much of their
personalities was there at age two, and how different they all were,

But then… my wife and I agree that raising our adopted son was the
hardest thing we did. He had a lot going against him — fetal alcohol
syndrome (probably), some learning disabilities, and having to sort out
race questions in our weird society. His birth certificate says he is
black, and he looks mostly white, and he didn’t really sort out where
he fit in until he went into the navy. School was a disaster, and yet
with help from very good drug counselors and AA, he pulled himself
together in his twenties. His fiftieth birthday is next month, and he
has been sober and productive for a long time, and his common sense is
as good or better than his siblings. He runs his own moving business in
Seattle. His three sisters all have advanced degrees and interesting
careers, but I think that I am most proud of how our son pulled his life
together.

So yes. Nature is definitely important and can’t be ignored. But
nurture can, with hard work and a generous portion of luck, overcome
what seems might seem as inevitable. It’s complicated, really.

—Barry