[FRIAM] the cancellation arc

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 14 13:58:57 EDT 2021

On 9/14/21 10:29 AM, uǝlƃ ☤>$ wrote:
> Yeah, well. Were I fully liberated, I'd be doing a lot more, and a lot more diverse, drugs than I do. Reading books is all well and good. But my guess is the experience of liberty is more expansive than intellectual knowledge of liberty. It takes a magician to truly appreciate magic.

This would be the basis of my support for "the ineffable".   Not that
thinking about an experience in linguistic terms isn't possible,
rewarding, even insightful, it is not precisely *the same* as the
experience, if even close.

  *watching/hearing/smelling/feeling/tasting others* having an
experience seems *more* apt to inform (apologies to NST) me
empathetically/mirror-neurologically, but actually *having* the
experience is still somewhat it's own thing.

Having *had* the experience allows (perhaps) the linguistic/intellectual
and the empathetic/mirror-neuron triggers to help me (re) access those
experiences in some inner way.  Just because when watching the Williams
sisters play tennis doesn't cause me to shift my weight to plant my feet
and flex my racquet grip and swing an arm, doesn't mean the fact of
having played thousands of hours of tennis in my lie doesn't give me a
significantly different experience from what I might think I "know" of
Jai Alai or Cricket or Curling or even Golf ferGawdSakez!

I've reported my "locomotion" dreams before, but this puts a nice
emphasis on what I suspect to be the difference between even my most
extravagant running, jumping, swimming, tree-swinging dreams and my
levitating/flying/soaring and especially my orbital mechanics dreams.
The latter is *entirely* symbolic while flying at least is fed (or
informed?) by what I see in birds flight and my trivial amount of
private piloting (but never
hang-gliding/ultra-lighting/ram-chuting/squirrel-suiting).

My proto/neo-libertarian nature comes (I postulate) from my having had a
*fairly* liberated early life where the primary restrictions I
experienced (allowed to constrain me) were the "hard knocks" variety NOT
involving other people (especially near-peers).   I've always felt
claustrophobic/cramped when confronted with social norms which is not to
say I think those norms are *evil* or even *wrongheaded*, just
"inconvenient".   The longer I live, the more experiences I have which
help me to not only distinguish the "wrongheaded" from the
"inconvenient" but also how to *navigate* the isoclines of a
high-dimensional socio-political landscape on my own terms and thereby
spend less time yelling at the TV or shaking my fist at the kids who
need to "get off my lawn!".

- Steve