[FRIAM] the cancellation arc

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:08:21 EDT 2021

I doubt I'll make it to vFriAM tomorrow. My schedule hasn't been conducive lately. So, I'll take the nugget in your text below that I can reply to best. My claim is *not* that the distinction between phenomena and epiphenomena is relative to a point of view. That's *your* claim, not mine. My claim is that epiphenomena do not exist. They are figments of your imagination ... or, more generously, your calculus for analyzing the world. They are purely *formal*, syntactic things with no correlate in the world.

If we can carry multiple frames around with us, we can swap them in and out and rank them according to which frames produce more or fewer epiphenomena. Those that produce fewer should be prioritized over those that produce many. In that, I think, we agree. If we refuse to carry around multiple frames, then we're (preemptively) stuck with whatever one we've landed on. But none of this should be taken as a claim that epiphenomena exist, only as an indicator for how articulated and complete our frame is ... i.e. its fidelity to what does exist.

Re: your claim that monism unifies epistemology and ontology -- I've cited Wolpert's "Limits of Inference" several times and I doubt citing it again will be helpful. But if we think of all the ways we can think about the universe as part of the universe, then we can see that there might be a smaller set of ways to think that have high fidelity than the number of ways that have low fidelity. Wolpert's argument is that there can be only 1 maximally faithful way to think. It's a strong argument. It's stronger than Rosen's argument that there does not exist a "largest model". But, to me, both are monist; and both lower the number of epiphenomena.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ