[FRIAM] Can a robot have a soul?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 11:22:17 EDT 2021

Stephen,

Please see larding below.  Your attempt to escape our agreement was deft, but unsuccessful.  I think you would agree (reluctantly, perhaps) that there is, sometimes, a reason to think of nodes in a system as individuals. And I agree, enthusiastically, that very often, one learns more by focusing on relations among  the nodes.   But we are, at the moment, not talking about that.  We are talking about where we locate something like consciousness, and we absolutely agree (no escaping it; I cling to you like a leach) that conscious is located in the relation between the nodes, not in some hypothetical, exploded, set of relations within the node.

I am, as you predicted, very excited about this.  I watched a bit of the videos to whet my appetite, but here in the Last Mile I am very limited in what I can download and am very leery of anything that moves.  Perhaps, when I get my “device”, I can spend time up at the Town Hall looking at those videos.

Clouds are like patterns in a cloud chamber, not usefully thought of as things in themselves, but more about the state of the atmosphere that they reveal.  I have long felt that cloud Atlasses really stink because they focus on the cloud as a thing not the atmospheric structure that is revealed by it.  Now, before I get in trouble with you I must quickly retreat and admit that a cloud, like a smoke plume, can also be seen as a thing, as when it shades the ground and diminishes convective potential or when it precipitates and puts out the fire.  This is an example of the phenomenon/epiphenomenon.  For most purposes the shape of the cloud – whether it looks like micky mouse or a llama – epiphenomenal.  It has nothing to do with the causal history of the cloud.  But for other purposes, it might be useful to know.  Whether something is epiphenomenal or not is in the eye of the beholder.  Glen thinks I disagree with that, but I don’t.  Where we genuinely disagree, I think, is in the relative value of a life spent looking for frames that encompass other frames.  What might be an entertainment for him is kind of obsession for me.

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/