[FRIAM] Can a robot have a soul?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:26:20 EDT 2021

Get out your steelman kit, because I absolutely DON’T believe that an epiphenomenon is a thing.  What I do think is that  every thing is both phenomenon and epiphenomenon depending on how we look it, depending on the interpretant we bring to bear.   So that the smoke cloud is llama shape is epiphenomenal with respect to the development of the cloud unless on considers that the shading provided by a llama shaped cloud might effect the development of the fire that makes the smoke.
I think many important arguments concern whether some consequence is phenomenal or epiphenomoenal. Consider the concept of collateral damage. What's a few children when will killed a thousand  terriorists with the same policy.   Well, five years later when you are withdrawing your troops under a hail of gunfire, you discover that there was nothing collateral about that damage except in the very narrow frame that bounded your thought.  Nick

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/