[FRIAM] Great Circle

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Sun Sep 19 21:20:20 EDT 2021

In the northern hemisphere a great circle route between two points with the same latitude will be north of the parallel, so if the latitudes are close, the great circle will arch above the straight line (for most map projections that keep “parallels” parallel). A gnomonic projection of the world centered on Charlotte or Honolulu would show the great circle route as a straight line. I’m sure none of those were printed, but I thought I might find a site that allowed the user to select a tangent point (Charlotte or Honolulu) and then show the map. The closest I got was https://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/3795048 and https://observablehq.com/@d3/gnomonic . It turns out that d3.js, a graphics library has a function geoGnomonic().

—Barry

Sent from my iPad