[FRIAM] Great Circle

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Sep 20 11:40:48 EDT 2021

I'm imagining a post near-apocalyptic world where the near-future
MAGAmorlocks watch ElonMuskishEloi flying machines traveling high in the
sky (with or without contrails) and set their crude sextants on the
problem of shooting a trajectory and from that guestimating which known
megaCity Enclaves they are traveling between.

Thanks to Barry for the Gnomonic projection prompt...  I seem to
remember that the Gnomonic is the earliest known map projection and is
derived from the traces of time-arcs cast by the sundial's gnomon.

Am I wrong that Rhumblines are reasonable approximations of great
circles, with the added convenience of providing a very simple
navigational technique (constant angle to north)?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhumbline_network

turning the problem inside out (Ed Angel/SteveG), we have the
rectilinear lens?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectilinear_lens