[FRIAM] unplanned [sen|obsol]escence

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Sep 22 16:02:09 EDT 2021

Marcus -

> I was a user of Soylent for a while.  A problem with it is that it
> uses rice flour that spoils.

I guess I didn't know there was a ?commercial? product by that name.

I was of course, referencing that 70s B movie with Charlton Heston
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UPDUpjkHg0> (the era of OmegaManHeston
and PlanetO'ApesHeston) before NRAColdDeadHandsHeston and after
BenHurHeston and MosesHeston.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UPDUpjkHg0

>   What’s the point of it if you have to worry about preparation and
> its integrity?  I want to pop in a battery my leg and be good to go!

Wouldn't it be even more convenient to have inductive charging loops
everywhere and just stay topped off all the time (while in Eloi
territory anyway)? In the meantime, tinfoil hatters would imagine you
can draw directly from the power grid inductively.  My great uncles were
famous for tapping the power lines going by with a coil of wire on a
long pole they could lay up close to the wires going over and

If I were going fully post/trans human I think I'd want to grow a
peacock-like photosynthetic tailfeather array to capture sunlight
directly.   Though I think the efficiency would have to be pretty high
to support a 2000W lifestyle
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UPDUpjkHg0>.  At a solar flux of
1000W/m^2 that looks like a shadow-print of 1mx2m or the cross section
of at typical grave?  3 m diameter peacock fan?