[FRIAM] unplanned [sen|obsol]escence

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 15:58:28 EDT 2021

On 9/22/21 6:04 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
> I have a hard time seeing these value-parallax-differences as anything BUT that.

This is what confused me. Why would value-parallax-differences be something OTHER than value-parallax-differences, whatever you might mean by "value-parallax-differences"?

On 9/24/21 12:31 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
> Do you have any more context on why the PNW (and more specifically
> Portland and Olympia) have so much street action between extreme
> Left/Right?

There are a few key points:

• Portland was, I think, the first semi-organized Antifa site: https://www.rosecityantifa.org/
• There's a long and storied racism in the PacNW, perhaps more convoluted than that of the South, but no less toxic.
• Patriot Prayer was a Vancouver, WA (right next to Portland) organization that particularly targeted Portland as a liberal place. Olympia is not so liberal. But the WA capitol. So lots of [counter]protests happen here.

> I'm not sure if you are suggesting in this example that there is
> something about Antifa Values (local or global) that makes them more
> likely to "bring their guns to town" and then to "fire them haphazardly"
> while somehow the Proud Boys would (not just did) not (in this case)?
> If it were Haight-Ashbury flower children clashing with Sonny Barger's
> boys, it would be very clear that values parallax had a strong influence
> on who got a daisy in the nose and who got lashed with a motorcycle chain.

Yes, Antifa does not do as much value alignment work as orgs like the Proud Boys does. There are no litmus tests. All you need do is show up. You don't even need to wear black or anything, despite the caricature. The only organizing principle is that you have to be against "fascism", whatever you may think that means. This is why The Olympian reports them as "antifa affiliated" people. The reporter who was assaulted by the Proud Boys prior to the gunfire is also "antifa affiliated".

The Proud Boys spend more time vetting their participants, ensuring their values are aligned, primarily because they've been sporadically infiltrated by lefties.

That "antifa affiliated" guy who shot Tiny is probably susceptible to peer pressure to *stop* carrying his gun to town, much like the Proud Boys coach their participants not to start fights and always cooperate with the cops. The more organized Antifa groups, like Rose City *do* coach their participants more than the less organized groups do. But the difference in both value alignment and tactics is obvious. If you're like my colleague, you'll claim this is a "distinction without a difference". But the difference is palpable if you're actually present.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ