[FRIAM] unplanned [sen|obsol]escence

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Sep 25 13:55:57 EDT 2021

Compare with these definitions:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/psychological-dimensions-left-wing-authoritarianism/620185/

"The authoritarian mentality, whether on the far left or far right, the authors conclude, exerts "powerful pressures to maintain discipline among members, advocate aggressive and censorious means of stifling opposition, [and] believe in top-down absolutist leadership."

"Coaching" is a pretty slippery word.  In the corporate world, there are a couple of usage.  One usage reveals a way for individuals who have no explicit power to influence another group of people through their special training or knowledge, e.g., an "Agile coach".   If the coaching fails the issue may be escalated to someone that does have that power.   Another usage of the word "coach" is for people that do have some power to threaten people that have less, before taking some disciplinary action.   "I tried to coach Fred on the importance of attending the stand-up meetings, but he wouldn't listen."   The latter is a distinction without a difference:  Fred has no choice but to take the advice as a command.

I suppose the LWA and RWA could both be low entropy configurations, but different ones.   Liberalism  seeks higher entropy.   Of course, talk is cheap and writing editorials counts for nothing once editorials are forbidden.   Or putting it another way, moving away from one low entropy configuration will require criminality by definition and sustaining criminality will require caution and discipline.

Anarchists don't fit in the LWA and RWA categorization.   Such people could be disciplined (in small groups or exercising self-control), but they are certainly anti-hierarchical.

Perhaps the Satel piece is referring to depth of the hierarchy, and not the degree of control of the executive.  For example, the U.S. government has a deep hierarchy and fascists want to make it shallow (or logically shallow).  Bannon's rhetoric comes to mind.  (Although I think he is not even a fascist.  For him it was too hard to work the system for individual gain when the system was complex and highly administrative.   So of course he doesn't want deep hierarchy.)

On the other hand, a highly administrative system doesn't necessarily lead to subjugation of individuals.  An anarchist might even like its inefficiency -- in the sense of executive wants to do X, how long does it take to do X -- because control becomes complicated and directives only can be acted on to the extent gears in the system allow it.

Marcus