[FRIAM] Isness: Using Multi-Person VR to Design Peak Mystical-Type Experiences Comparable to Psychedelics

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 8 21:37:29 EDT 2022

With VR your 'ordinary senses' are still functional and still sending signals to the brain—hence "simulator sickness" when your inner ears disagree with your eyes. Also, the fact that your brain still has access to "normal" data, it tends to interpolate and interpret the sensory data from the VR apparatus and the experience is always a hybrid.

Some absolutely fascinating—but totally non-respectable—research was done on virtual sex, including 'body suits' with paired sensors and effectors, olfactory stimuli, and taste to augment the visual inputs. Sex they got, but lust and arousal eluded them.

None of that conflict exists with hallucinogens.

It is a huge mistake to study hallucinogens with an exclusive brain focus. Some of the most interesting work I say in Amsterdam involved attempts to track the effects throughout the body. This would suggest that even a direct silicon-neuron connection would still fall short and the Matrix notion is not achievable.

davew