[FRIAM] Isness: Using Multi-Person VR to Design Peak Mystical-Type Experiences Comparable to Psychedelics

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Aug 9 21:39:11 EDT 2022

and for the use cases involved a prone position...

https://diver-x.jp/halfdive/en/

I do often wish I could adjust the up-vector in my Quest or Go such that
I  could use it laying down or reclining significantly. Movies and 2.5D
paint programs already support arbitrary orientation including azimuth,
but "obvious" other apps I'd like to be able to use en-recline are 3D
modeling (e.g. SketchUpVR), workbench apps like molecular modelling
(e.g. Nanome).

In support of Dave's point about vestibular vs visual cues, this mode
*could* be problematic for some folks and I'd expect *visceral* apps
like dance/games to be quite awkward.  On the other hand, if the mode of
locomotion in an app were to be "fully bouyant levitation" I expect the
prone position would actually work *better* than standing.  An auto-tilt
inversion "chair" would probably facilitate faux gravity adjustments as
long as there was >0G in at least one direction (nominally gravity and
ac/deceleration).

The market continues to evolve... the new Samsung Omnicept in the list
of Steam recommended headsets adds interesting features like
gaze/pupillary/lip detection/tracking and heart rate...  but naturally
apps that exploit this (well) will lag and there will be other divergent
sensors in competing gear "soon".

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1613900/HP_Reverb_G2_Omnicept_Edition/

I remember when TUIO <https://www.tuio.org/> and multi-touch was the
end-all of advanced UI abstractions!