[FRIAM] "tech" companies suck

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Aug 15 13:06:12 EDT 2022

The first movie theater experience I had after COVID had them shut down
was watching Tom Hanks wander through NM landscape (filmed here more
than set here) settings reading the Newspapers out loud to news-hungry,
mostly illiterate, post-Civil-War townies.   He added another layer of
curation/editorial value (or as a few towns demonstrated) bias and
censorship.  The movie title was "News of the World"... it was an
effective commentary/parable on the whole problem of "what means
'News'?", particularly in a time of rapid cultural, economic, political
and technological change.

Sam Clemens was a reporter (Journalist?) before he was a writer of
fictions and commentary.

    https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2015/today-in-media-history-in-1863-a-reporter-named-samuel-clemens-became-mark-twain/

    <https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2015/today-in-media-history-in-1863-a-reporter-named-samuel-clemens-became-mark-twain/>

I live my life by aphorisms and anecdotes (maybe not literally, but they
do represent a significant influence).    A quote that I have apparently
made up (since I can never find the source of it) is misphrased as "I
always read the paper two weeks late, because by then it has proven to
be wrong or is no longer relevant".   I always attributed this to Twain,
but apparently I know nothing. Another quote attributed (by many) to him
is roughly "A man who does not read the newspaper is uninformed, a man
who does read the newspaper is misinformed".   I found this to be a nice
salve to the harsh abrasions caused by caustic declarations of "Fake
News!" that ramped up so drastically with Trump's ascendency.  Rich,
regularly coming from a news outlet whose name is so close to "Faux
News" to attack all other sources.

I am sure that Tom and his profession has a lot of perspective to offer,
but in the voice of Twain, "I'm not sure we are prepared to receive it".

- Steve