[FRIAM] "tech" companies suck

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Aug 16 11:47:43 EDT 2022

Glen writes:

< I can't help but think you narrative people will be (are) way more robust to dementia than I'll be. When my abilities to re-reveal the detail of the state of the world begin to seriously wane, I'll be thoroughly screwed.

I know a learning-disabled person that has good verbal conversational skills but can't learn skills of any consequence.   Another person I know has dementia but still forms plausible sentences.   It takes a moment of observation before recognizing there is something missing in these two people.  It is only the appearance of robustness.  It comparable to motor skills for walking.

[⛧] It seems circadian. But it may not be. "Vacations", which I put in quotes because I don't really take them, screw with me in a similar way. Fugues, both work-Flow and extracurricular-Flow, also do it. A good mobility workout re-configures the space around me and feels like it re-configures my conception of the world, too. It's similar with concentrated 1 or 2 day work episodes. >

I've noticed a potential downside to these resets.  If one works with people that are driven toward falling into ruts (or less negatively, "taking on roles"), this can come off like indifference to the tribe identity.  For me, vacations are mostly a way to recognizing the rut I am in, only to be forced back into it.   I don't find them very useful.   What's needed is a daily maintenance protocol where productivity can occur without being driven into a miserable situation in the first place.   Vacations should be one of many outlets for growing curiosity and being sufficiently random.

Marcus