[FRIAM] "tech" companies suck

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:56:15 EDT 2022

It's interesting that you took "state of the world" to mean "news". I know I referred to newspaper (different from "news paper") and TV News shows. So it's my fault, I'm sure. But I definitely do *not* use "this stuff" (TikTok, Instagram, Signal, etc) for news. I use it to gather some sense of the state of the world. They seem like very different things to me.

I suppose news could be thought of as a differential on some prior concept of the state of the world, eh? If you think you know the state and you're fed some delta off that, then you update your concept. That's reasonable. But I don't think that way. I'm mostly episodic and wake up each day [⛧] with a very distorted conception of the world. It's even worse when I wake up at 3am with a splitting headache that ends in shivers and puking. After those episodes, my concept of the world is wiped down ... smoother, buffed. The burrs and flanges that are an inherent part of the world are steadily re-established as I scroll across the various feeds. By the time I start work (~8 or 9am), the state of the world is fully flanged again (except in the headache aftermath, where it takes several hours to reveal the detail again).

I can't help but think you narrative people will be (are) way more robust to dementia than I'll be. When my abilities to re-reveal the detail of the state of the world begin to seriously wane, I'll be thoroughly screwed.

[⛧] It seems circadian. But it may not be. "Vacations", which I put in quotes because I don't really take them, screw with me in a similar way. Fugues, both work-Flow and extracurricular-Flow, also do it. A good mobility workout re-configures the space around me and feels like it re-configures my conception of the world, too. It's similar with concentrated 1 or 2 day work episodes.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ