[FRIAM] dystopian vision(s)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Aug 19 22:11:36 EDT 2022

On 8/19/22 1:33 PM, glen wrote:
> No, as I understand it, HIPAA would *not* be violated. That's a common
> (right wing) trope.

I guess I erred toward the idea that if I had *legitimate* access to
medical info that it would be a violation.  I *think* anyone with
legitimate access to HIPPA information has to sign agreements that bind
them whether they are licensed medical professionals or not?  It seems
like a double-ding if you ARE licensed, risking both criminal charges
and losing a license?

I think I agree that simply "finding" or unknowingly "receiving" HIPPA
protected information is likely just a question of  ethics and bad faith?

> I still worry that spying on and disclosing (semi) private data about
> elected officials might be a crime of some kind. But you're the PI. So
> you'd know!

Seems like there has been plenty of doxxing of elected officials... if
such is illegal then maybe the current practice of loose/difficult
enforcement means it isn't much of a problem for some?

I haven't been a PI for 40 years, but I do admit that sometimes I use
that lens when thinking about things.   I quit that mini-career for a
combination of practical and ethical reasons. There really wasn't much
"righteous" work when it came right down to it.   Also helping make
world-ending WMDs somehow seemed more ethical at the time?

I doubt I could stomach much clandestine surveillance as implied, much
less actual disclosure of the results... It isn't about what they
"deserve" it is about who I am willing to be?   For a few months in 2016
I had a direct-action project conception titled "take a Dump for Trump"
that was modeled on the old Halloween trick of a bag of burning dogshit
on a porch... but I had to let that go for similar reasons.