[FRIAM] Adversarial Collaboration - Kahneman

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Feb 28 11:19:34 EST 2022

Glen wrote, a few weeks ago, about an old friend/colleague who had been
out of touch who confronted him with having "bullied him intellectually"
a while back.    I didn't think too much of it at the time because I
experience Glen's confrontational style to be more about contrarianism
than bullying, though on sensitive subjects it is hard not to feel any
assertive disagreement otherwise.

This list traffic, I find, has a mix of fraternalism and adversarialism
that can be both disarming and uncomfortable at times, which I believe
is part of the reason for the lurker/poster and the female/male
participant ratios.   I may not be calibrated well on that topic.  It is
just an intuition.

In any case, the following Edge lecture on "Adversarial Collaboration"
really rung a bell with me:

    https://www.edge.org/adversarial-collaboration-daniel-kahneman

He covered several interesting and relevant (to me) topics:

 1. Confirmation Bias is widespread, insidious, and hard to detect in
    oneself.
 2. People don't change their minds.
 3. Healthy attempts to change another's mind can be beneficial to both
    sides in spite of the above.
 5. "Angry Science" is supported by mob/tribalism, but does not serve.
 5.   "Adversarial Collaboration" is a good alternative to "Angry Science"

And most poignant to my own aging/transition process:

*/Old people don't really kick themselves. Their regret is wistful,
almost pleasant. It's not emotionally intense./*

All in all, I found the topic and Kahneman's treatment very interesting,
both in observing the general progress of Science and in my own
navigation through this ever-expandingly complex world, with or without
the help of experts and peers.