[FRIAM] Roger Mcnamee !!??

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jan 3 14:28:02 EST 2022

I am coming late to this thread/discussion which is probably for the
best, not diving in prematurely.

I appreciate your (NST) bringing the thread back to your original
question, not that the myriad braided channels of the thread are not
useful and interesting.

I think it is an interesting question for many reasons.

 1. What makes 2040 Auspicious to you (or any of us?)
 2. What scope (geographic, political, social, specieal) of community?
 3. Where does scaling come in (referencing 1 and 2)?

2040...  I'm used to people invoking 2030 and 2050 and 2100 variously...
I don't think I've encountered a 2040 invocation before.  It is
auspcious for me in that I will be mid-80s by then which may be the age
of some of our eldest here already, and an age which I don't necessarily
expect to reach personally.  My father and grandfathers only made it
into their late 70s and early 80s(my father) while my mother recently
passed just shy of 91.

Many Climate Predictors/Planners are talking about not getting our
carbon gluttony under control before 2050, others are saying 2030 is a
critical goal and yet other say we are already farooked and now it is
deck-chair-on-titanic time.   I suppose I believe all of them.   We
missed a window in 1900 or maybe 1975 or maybe 2000 for nipping our
gluttony for portable, inexpensive, ubiquitous, very dense energy in the
bud, and the worst of the greenhouse gas-induced climato-ecological
tumble that is finally becoming something many people experience in real
time.   It took ME getting a bad sunburn at sea-level in 10 minutes (in
NZ in 2000) to actually *believe* in the Ozone hole (as it shrunk but
precessed around the south pole, making sun-exposure MUCH more acute
(fickle) than I've been used to living in dry, high elevation conditions
most of my life).   Los Alamos tried to burn down *twice* in 10 years
and I, along with many others tried to treat it as a
transient/coincidental phenomena, not a consequence of widespread
heat/drought/etc.   Now cities like Portland and Denver (where my
daughters each live) are trying to burn down. As little as 2 years ago I
remember a discussion on this list where at least one member seemed
adamant that a 2C rise in average temperature of the globe was nothing
to worry about.  That member (and others who lurk on such topics) may
well still hold that the wild and growing variations in weather, forced
by a small but meaningful climate shift, is not a problem and/or is also
nothing we have brought upon ourselves with our ignorantly willful
gluttony (which I have shared in my life, and continue to experience
albeit somewhat reduced).

Scope of Community...  I think your original question was pretty much
using the vernacular use of "community"...   me and all my friends,
associates, neighbors, colleagues, etc.   How do we live together.
What does a "day in the life" look like?   I think this is a good choice
of focus/question even though (or especially because) it is the tip of
the iceberg of what is important/relevant.   It IS what we experience.
It is (for the most part) our fitness function, which we optimize for.
I ask scope because of the intertwinedness of Economy, Ecology, and
???   earth/human systems which I think we have somewhat ignored.   We
here are practiced and trained somewhat in systems thinking but I would
claim that we are not that good at it, at least not outside of our
specialized domains where we have peers and tools and systems to keep us
honest.   Huge failings of this type range from the manic
hypercapitalistic modality that does not recognize that it *can* shit
it's own nest with both earth-systems (ecology) and human systems
(economic class/warfare), to the current pandemic (best I can tell
anti-mask/anti-vaxx folks are thinking only/at-best about infectous
disease and entirely oblivious of epidemiology and how it is different
if related).   I also believe that the anti-democracy activities afoot
around the world are predicated on something like a majority (or at
least a large enough mob) believing that as long as they are the ones
getting their way, there really isn't any value in a system that
supports something like fairness/justice/plurality.   I myself have a
lot of misgivings about direct and representative democracy, but not
(just) because I keep not-getting-my-way in the one I ostensibly
inhabit, but because I don't think it either optimizes nor satisfices
what we *really want/need* which is part of Nick's original challenge
(healthy community).   In my emergent pan-consciousness perspective, I
accept the technical accuracy of Marcus' position about "natural
consequences"...  but I also continue to hold onto principals of mutual
respect (and even love) among/between loci of consciousness (individual
humans, other sentient creatures, not-quite-sentient creatures, trees,
forests, mountains, glaciers, ice-caps, etc.)

Scaling...   this thread has included discussions (dismissals?) of
"intermediate scale" in our systems, yet most of us are familiar with
the emergence/maintenance of power-law distributions in natural
systems.   Engineering (including of Societies and Economies) tends to
focus on (false?) efficiencies which tend to (require?) eliminate or at
least severely reduce intermediate scales.  "Cut out the middleman".   I
find the specifics of Nudge Theory a little bit trite but I do very much
appreciate the attempt to re-introduce some of the mechanisms of
natural/evolutionary systems into our engineering processes. "Nudging"
very likely re-introduces some of the intermediate scale structures that
hyper-optimization of sub-dimensional fitness-functions tend to
eliminate.   "Think Global, Act Local" seems to have become at least
dated if not somewhat deprecated... and it certainly can seem trite.   I
take it to be a bumper-sticker sized, generally accessible proxy for
"power law distribution of scales".

- Steve