[FRIAM] Cautionary Tales: CliFi

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jan 26 10:06:49 EST 2022

On 1/25/22 5:58 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

> < It might not surprise anyone here that I have become a CliFi
> obsessionist with Kim Stanly Robinson's stuff well represented
> ("Ministry for the Future" standing out well above the others).  His
> Red/Green/Blue Mars series is a good complement with the
> social/technological/spiritual implications of Terraforming there. >
>
> Huh.  I found MftF drawn-out and boring with distracting little
> nonsense chapters interleaved.   I don’t see why it is popular.   A
> few good ideas here and there but couldn’t care less about the
> characters.  It could be massively compressed.

That would be *all* of KSR's novels I'm afraid...  my obsession with the
ideas (unanticipated problems as well as unanticipated responses) trumps
any need I have for being entertained by the characters or even plot.

It really read to me (as you point out) as a series of loosely connected
vignettes of specific interest.   To the extent that *some* of the MoTF
characters did get under my skin, it was as an irritant as much as
anything.   I probably read Red Mars when it was new as my introduction
to KSR and did not go back to his writing until as little as 5 years ago
when I found his topics more relevant than I had acknowledged before...
He seemed to me to be a lot preachy and I guess now I'm enough of the
choir to be able to hum along with his sermons now.

Stephenson also gets very tedious for me, but I find his depth of
research and quirkiness of characters and technical surprises worthy of
my attention through his gruelingly long and seemingly careening
storylines and characters.