[FRIAM] Cautionary Tales: CliFi

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jan 27 14:15:52 EST 2022

Marcus -

Thanks for your feedback on KSR's writing style... it really sobered me
to realize how much of an obsessionist I am on this topic and what I
will ignore to feed that obsession.

I tripped over (thank you Google News Feed) an interesting article in Grist:

    https://grist.org/climate/with-the-world-on-fire-climate-fiction-no-longer-looks-like-fantasy/

that resonated with my reflections.   While I do feel a little obsessive
on the topic (not just climate but all the convergent "endogenous
existential threats" coming at us),  I feel somewhat balanced about it,
especially as I graze on the buffets that books like MotF and
Stephenson's Termination Shock and Amithav Ghosh's "Great Derangement"
offer.   I also found William Gibson's Jackpot Series:

    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/william-gibson-agency

refreshing (for a dystopia) with our myriad existential threats
(climate, species, pollution, finance, civil unrest, fascism, etc.)
converging on a bit of a (nasty) wet-fizzle of an apocalypse he
sardonically dubs "The Jackpot".

The Grist article describes (somewhat) the value of keeping one's eye on
the dystopian/apocalyptic future threatened by our short-sighted habits
and (overly optimistic?) conceptions of the future generated by our
materialistic pop-culture.

Someone here (Marcus, Glen, EricS ?) mentioned Musk and the idea that he
might be pursuing the canonical "Good Old Fashioned Future" coined in
the Golden Age and refashioned in the Modern Era of Science Fiction.
We boomers (and Xers?) who went into Sci/Tech likely read at least a lot
of Marvel/DC comics (if not the Science Fiction without pictures) of our
era and I claim it heavily shaped our image of what was
possible/desireable.    I don't think it is serving us (Gaia of whom we
are her most precocious children?)

- Steve