[FRIAM] Cautionary Tales: CliFi

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jan 28 12:46:41 EST 2022

Marcus -

I can't disagree with your points about Musk's *effectiveness* and those
(stodgy or incompetent or narrowly ambitious) he has eclipsed over and
over again in a couple of decades (or less), any more than I can his
(apparent) *intentions*.   Tony Stark is a fun fictional character for
technophiles (including me) and I can see why some want to overlay that
onto the Elon...  but for all my fascination with fictions and stories,
I don't mistake the Marvel Universe for the one I actually live in...

It is patently NOT my place to tell Musk what to do (beyond any
financial stake I might hold in his company(ies) as a stakeholder),
though it IS my place to join Citizens of the (community, county, shire,
state, nation-state, earth) to discuss and consider what could/should be
treated as "the commons" and how therefore we manage them (or more
relevantly, how we decide how to shape the landscape of forces that
effectively manage/regulate/define them)...   emergent, collective
phenomena ultimately dominate, no matter what the myriad stripes of
linear conspiracy theorists may try to demonstrate.

For my purposes, Musk is a force of nature, a Titan in our modern
pantheon of "influencers" with a megaphone/lever ($200B + beaucoup media
exposure) as large as any we've seen in a long time. Bezos' influence
seems anemic next to his, yet it also is not trivial, and Zuckerberg
seems also the thinnest of gruel, yet they (and many others less
singular or obvious) are the pivots or fulcrums around which our future
is being levered into a new shape.   The stories they tell or believe in
is in many ways the destiny which is manifesting through the "power" we
apply to said levers..  our $$, Tweets/Posts, votes, etc are directed
by/through those levers...

I thought that the DLU tech prophet-billionaire was an interesting
mashup of Musk/Bezos/Zuck but with the (more subtle?) reach of Google
and perhaps the dreamy/breathy spirituality of Marianne Williamson.  It
was a powerful caricature, though I can't see much I can do with it,
except unplug Alexa/SIRI/HeyGoogle with my kneejerk, re-install TOR, and
#DEFINE Google to be replaced with DuckDuckGo in all instances.

I already buy most of my books through a local Indie and *try* to check
my local Hardwares (still chain affiliates, if not big-box) for the
things I'm tempted to order-in via Amazon (after all they do organize my
purchases for repeat buys, easy returns, significantly useful reviews,
offer one-click purchases, batching orders into single-day deliveries,
etc.).  I even try to swing by the espanola ReStore and a couple of
thrift stores on the off chance I don't need to buy something brand-new,
depleting whatever supply chain everyone else might be clamoring about.
If I ever buy a Tesla it will probably be heavily damaged and it will be
to move the power-train to my '49 dumptruck, though my Gen1, Year0
GM-Volt is a more likely candidate.   I won't sign up for Starlink until
they remove their clause requiring me to thereby endorse the
privatization of Mars to "first comers"...  SpaceX is likely to
become/spawn the equivalent of the Hudson Bay or East India Co of the
18/19C on the Moon and Mars, no matter what I think/say/do... but I
cringe at the thought of openly endorsing a new "land rush"...

I suppose that thinking that any of this matters to anyone but me is
typical hippy/yuppy-elitist western hubris...

- Steve