[FRIAM] academic freedom

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 11:21:24 EST 2022

Here's why I think the Academic Freedom Alliance (and similar things like the Heterodox Academy) are bullshit [⛧]:

In a defamation lawsuit, the hype around digital health clashes with scientific criticism
https://www.statnews.com/2022/03/02/health-fertility-thermometer-valley-polis/

There's a *legitimate* case of the expression and defense of academic freedom. But what's occupying the attention of the "Academic Freedom Alliance"? [sigh] The suspension of an "anti-Woke" professor from a Christian propaganda outlet <https://www.cuw.edu>:

https://academicfreedom.org/letter-to-concordia-wisconsin-on-gregory-schulz/

along with professors facing blowback for "adult child sex" comments, stances on abortion, "critical race theory", confederate statues, etc. They (the AFA) may have good intentions to some extent. But by ignoring actual academics, cases of actual academic freedom, and focusing on peripherally kinda-sorta academic divisive issues, they effectively incite the divisions rather than treating them. They're directly responsible for turning the "academy" into the equivalent of a Rupert Murdoch gossip rag. Chelsea Polis deserves way more defensive attention than anyone the AFA is claiming to defend.

[⛧] And I mean bullshit in the technical sense, not false, not true, but designed to target divisive "culture war" type stuff, designed as a confidence trick.

--
glen
When elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers.