[FRIAM] academic freedom

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 3 13:39:27 EST 2022

"Academic Freedom" is an issue that I would love to discuss in the tavern sometime. My side of the conversation would necessarily be personal—based on 25 years as a professor; ten years at a conservative Catholic University and fifteen years at public universities in New Mexico.

Lot's of anecdotes about threats—including some that are not typically included in the discussion, like the Kinko's lawsuit that intimidated universities and prevented fair use of material that copyright owners did not want included in course discussions—"bullshit" defenders like the AFA, cases of cowardly self-censorship, and more.

It was interesting, to me, how often it was the content of my software design courses that caused problems; e.g., the lecture on "cultural hard coding," with examples like two values for sex and five for 'race', and last names limited to seven characters excluding hyphens.

davew