[FRIAM] Fwd: International firm to invest $254M in ABQ hydrogen factory -- ABQ Journal

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Mar 12 16:01:57 EST 2022

One issue is the need for a fusebox switch or relay to disconnect from the grid during an outage.  That can require large gauge wiring to and from the generator or solar inverters or (pickup truck) batteries.  That isn’t a problem if your main panel is where the power sources are, but some investment if not.  The F150 is really a large circuit requirement of 80 amps, so might as well get a subpanel in the latter case.

Often the way generators are added is by creating two paths where one has essential stuff like the refrigerator, and others are unavailable when the generator path is used (and the house is off grid).   My dad has that setup but he cannot use his solar off grid yet.  Ideally one would top off batteries from the generator or the solar as needed — a switch that is thrown automatically at sunset or according to the battery charge.  To make that systematic, better to have fixed batteries.

Some electricians seem to do this more than others but I got bids that were widely variable.