[FRIAM] Psychedelics

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:09:35 EDT 2022

Your mention of "invasive" and "watching from the sidelines" is interesting. I regard (high doses of) drugs as invasive. And trying to figure out why I think that, I'm forced to wonder if one *can* watch from the sidelines at all. In order to communicate, send and received encodings of what goes on inside one's self to/from another's self, requires similar structure between the sender and the receiver. So in the same way we can say that a person born without arms might have difficulty communicating well with a person born with arms, we can say that a person born with chemical mixture X might have trouble communicating well with a person born with chemical mixture Y. (Where "mixture" includes maintenance and production of steady states.)

Of course, communication between a person who was born with arms but who recently lost them with a person who still has their arms should be more well-formed. The same might be true of 2 people who usually have similar chemical mixtures, but where one of them temporarily changes their mixture. Like, maybe, someone describing a recent acid trip to a tea-totaler friend. But the key is "temporarily". The chemical mixture would have to go from similar, to dissimilar, and recover to similar. If the chemical mixture gets too dissimilar and stabilizes that way, then it's reasonable to expect communication formedness to monotonically degrade, like a slow speed *othering*. In this way, those of us who continually explore noetic space through manipulation/intervention might become *permanently* othered from those of us who follow a more sedate or accidental path from birth to death. Maybe this is why it's bad to have Billionaires running the country? Money is the ultimate nootropic.

In order to re-establish well-formed comms, you'd need to re-ground the communication in shared structure. Maybe throw some pots together, or perhaps some pair programming. I'm as skeptical about objectives as anyone. But sharing an objective, a concrete target towards which a group of people work, re-grounds communication quite nicely. But the key is that it has to be concrete. Getting a group of people together in pursuit of, say, "spiritual healing" is profoundly disturbing because the objective is not concrete: https://youtu.be/VHi_UusXdWM

So, I'm worried that you simply cannot "watch from the sidelines" and expect to have any understanding of what's going on. You can't win if you don't play.

--
Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙