[FRIAM] fluid codes revisited

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:26:34 EDT 2022

EricS,

Thanks for getting back to me with a reference[1]. I printed a couple of
pages of it, which I then scrape out time to read.

In a rare moment of straightforward computation, NickT walked me through
how one performs an analysis of variation. Now I am reading a little bit of
"Beyond Versus" about the history of the nature-nurture debate. There, the
author discusses Fisher's notion of *interaction* as a deviation from
additivity. This got me thinking again about my question regarding
additivity and your comment about finding correct *aggregation operators*.
To what degree does this *wider class* of operators correspond to instances
of coproducts in context-appropriate categories? My wondering begins with
the observation that *interactions* can often be represented by
(hyper?)-arrows (or at least *(hyper?)-edges) and that such structured
things can often have their own notions of *additivity* (following from the
notion of coproduct and especially in linear categories, aka, additive
categories). Does this jive with your understanding?

[1] https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/2022-April/092364.html